US to UK Stitch Conversion Guide

If you’ve been looking at crochet goodies online for a bit you may have noticed some European sites showing a picture of what appears to a double crochet, for instance, but calling it single crochet.  Or maybe you’ve seen patterns with the phrase “written in standard American terms” and wondered what was going on.  Well… it turns out we Americans use slightly different terms than the folks across the pond!

It’s the same crochet, but our terminology is just slightly different. The easiest way for me to think about it is that it is “one off”.  So the American single crochet is the UK double crochet.  And the US double crochet is the UK treble crochet.  Here’s a helpful chart to keep you crocheting away!

graphic of us to uk crochet stitches